Fresh, zesty and not too sweet, these little rascals are just right for a lazy weekend breakfast. Serve them warm with a mug o freshly brewed coffee, and if you're feeling extra-naughty, try them with a spoonful of creme fraiche and a dollop of lemon curd on top.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp poppy seedcs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
- Preheat the oven to 400 degree F. Grease or line a 12-hole muffin pan
- Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and poppy seeds and sift into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl or jug, lightly beat together the egg, yogurt and milk to combine, then stir in the butter and lemon juice and zest. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir together until just combined, then spoon big dollops of the mixture into the prepared muffin pan.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until risen and golden. Leave to cool in the pan for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Makes 12 muffins